The 70/20/10 learning and development model
The 70/20/10 learning and development model, developed in the early 90’s by Robert Eichinger, Michael Lombardo and Morgan McCall, asserts that 70 percent of learning and development takes place from real-life and on-the-job experiences, tasks, and problem solving. 20 percent of the time, development comes from other people through informal or formal feedback, mentoring, or coaching. 10 percent of learning and development comes from formal training.
The concern with this model is that formal learning initiatives are devalued and that if 90 percent of learning is informal, it therefore requires no attention. However, the 70/20/10 idea resulted from an effort to raise the awareness about informal and experiential learning. This occurs usually without a mental acknowledgement or even planning by the learner, unlike when engaging in formalised learning which is more of a conscious decision.
An influence on strategy
The 70/20/10 learning and development model should be an influence on training strategy rather than a strategy in itself.
The most useful application of this powerful model for understanding learners and their learning world should be to:
- Strongly support the 70% learning
- Develop and exploit the power of the 20%
- Design the 10% within the clear context of the other 90%
Our view on this model?
Professionals and leadership can get hung up on the numbers or the right combination. But what 70/20/10 is all about is recognising that a lot of learning happens informally on the job and therefore is a culture change tool to support a model which strikes the right balance for the organisation.
The 70/20/10 learning and development model is about creating a culture of recognising informal learning as well as promoting opportunities to learn informally. Issues around people not realising they are learning as they are doing, but rather they need to attend a training session in a classroom is a significant challenge. Leaders, managers and staff need to shift their thinking about what, where, and how learning takes place. Not only does culture and mindset need to change, systems, policies and procedures are affected.
Some people may doubt this approach or whether it even works. However, we believe it is a philosophy not a formula.
- Some feel releasing control from formalized learning to informal may produce issues for the business
- Quality can’t be assured or controlled
- The knowledge and skill transfer may be incorrect
- The trainer/coach/mentor may not have the right skill
In reality it is not too different to apprentice type schemes proven in industry, and with the right support from students’ managers and supervisors is a powerful way to engage and encourage employees.
Wahoo Learning helps facilitate this philosophy by moving formal training material to an online delivery. It enables the ‘10%’ of formal training to be consistently delivered, when, where and at the pace of the student, and it remains available for further review as they learn on the job and with the support of experienced coaches or mentors.
The author - Lloyd Smith
You might also enjoy
Video is one of the most preferred formats for consuming content online. With internet speeds becoming faster and access becoming more ubiquitous, Cisco predicts video will account for 82% of all internet traffic by 2022. Video is also inherently engaging on a sensory...
Soft skills are those that humans naturally have and are used to relate to one another and make sense of the world around them. Two well known examples are communication and creativity but there are many more. Technical or hard skills are skills we use to accomplish...
Training your channel partners equips them with the necessary information to function well with your entire network. It includes training them on your brand, products and services, requirements from other channel partners, regulations, and how to sell your company’s...
Corporate training adds so much value to a company. Employees get a better understanding of your business and their respective roles, resulting in improved performances and higher productivity. They are more engaged with their workplace and feel like they are valued,...
When you enter partnerships with other businesses with the goal of extending the reach of your products, it is in your best interests to look beyond improving your in-house team and towards supporting the improvement of your channel partners. A recent study from the...
There are some key challenges for any sales organisation dealing with and managing a partner network. Managing Partners involves much more than product training and quarterly incentives. It requires a mutual business strategy, training, mentoring, and support on how...